Saturday, April 12, 2008

Smell

I thought I would use this time to talk about smell. Kind of strange in a way, but it's something we really don't think about when we are creating stories. Sure, we write about emotions and how we feel, but do we write about how things smell?

I don't know about you, but I'm constantly smelling. As I write this, I can smell my large German Shepherd as he sleeps at my feet. He's stinky and his breath is bad and sometimes he farts. He is 8 years old, so he doesn't have puppy breath anymore. But his smell is so distinct, I miss it when I go away.

Okay, so maybe this is a bit weird for some people. Let's try some other memory. There is a perfume I used to wear back in my mid-twenties. It was a mango smell that The Body Shoppe still sells. Whenever I smell that mango perfume, it takes me back to a time when I was in university and was partying waaayyyyyy too much. I'm transported to that time and place, and those feelings return once again: a mixture of sadness, loss and being lost, but also a moment of finding myself.

Whether you are journaling or establishing characters in your story, smell can dig a little deeper into what is really going on inside. To learn how to dig deeper into your creativity, check out my eBook Unleash Your Writing Muse.

No comments: