If you haven't noticed, Nanowrimo is less than two weeks away, and many of you may be wondering how to get 'in the 'zone' to Nano effectively.
There are numerous strategies to help keep you focused---it's all about figuring out what works for you.
Here are some of mine:
1) Free write. This means 'write freely' whatever is on your mind. It could be your grocery list, how you don't want to go to work tomorrow, how uninspired you feel, or whatever is happening in your life. When I'm stuck and I write about 'whatever', 'whatever' turns into something pretty damn good.
2) Meditate. Meditating shuts down the crazy mind chatter and will help you to focus on what's important!
3) Read. Read something you enjoy and something that inspires you. Read a book from the genre you are writing about. Read blogs/articles on writing. Whatever it is, read it.
4) Change locations. Leave your current location and go somewhere completely different. Doing this can offer a whole new perspective.
5) Exercise/Get outside. Go for a walk or run. Get to the park and enjoy nature.
6)Watch your favorite TV show or movie where the writing is exceptional. Joss Whedon is one of my favourites. I appreciate his talent for crafting extraordinary stories.
7) If all else fails, take a nap. A quick nap will recharge your batteries and refresh your mind.
Finally, don't be hard on yourself for not keeping up with your word count. The fact that you are getting out there and taking a chance speaks volumes!
Keep on writing!