Monday, January 26, 2015

When Creativity Sucks

Over the last few weeks, I have been sucking in the creativity area of my life. Where there should have been a blast of colours pulsing through the creativity centres of my brain, there was only a dull, boring grey.

What the hell? I really thought that was it... this was the end of my creative life. I wanted to give up because I could not see the proverbial light at the end of a very dark and foreboding tunnel. Oh, the drama!

It took a lot of digging, a lot of soul searching and a lot of talking to myself to sort out what the issue was.

Last week, I attended a yoga workshop to help detox my body, mind and soul. It was intense, not only physically, but emotionally. Fortunately, I walked out of there energized. This yoga detox was one of the ways I was able to squeeze through the crack in the wall that was closing in on my creativity.

The next morning, I felt like I had some mojo back. I didn't hop out of bed, instead I basked. I enjoyed the comfort of the pillows, of reading, and learning something new. I was free of distraction that day. I didn't even let the dishes in the sink bother me.



The point is, your ego will try to talk you out of doing something that you know is good for your soul. What you need to do is move beyond that and somehow get to where you want to go. If it means doing some journaling about your frustrations, then do that. If yoga, running, walking, or whatever, will get your creativity flowing, then do that. If it means meditating or listening to some beautiful music, then do that.

I guess what I'm saying is, just keep moving forward.

Happy writing!



No comments: